Health Coach III
American Specialty Health, Inc. is seeking a Health Coach III to join our Health Management Lifestyle Coaching Department. The primary function of this position is to provide phone-based coaching, education and support to members utilizing coaching programs. This position includes providing supportive accountability to members around the member’s health-related goals and developing a plan with members to reach those goals and sustain lasting behavioral changes gained through participation. This position also includes reviewing member files for clinical risk issues. Review may lead to developing a plan to help assure safe program participation related to those issues, communicating with others responsible for member’s safe program participation, and/or following through on program plan with each assigned member.
You are invited to learn more about American Specialty Health’s events on our events page.
- Coaches members as assigned, including those with special or complex needs.
- After receiving program specific training, following clinical protocol and corporate policies and procedures, provide primarily phone-based (possibly some video and/or chat/text) coaching and education to members.
- Schedules coaching sessions to meet department productivity expectations and to meet program performance and quality standards.
- Meets or exceeds department performance expectations for coaches.
- Using evidence based coaching skills and health information, works with members to set health related goals and develop and implement effective strategies to reach those goals.
- Creates and sustains a supportive member-focused environment for behavior change.
- Assures all communications from management or the Quality Assurance (QA) team are acknowledged and instructions implemented. Acknowledges and implements all program modifications resulting from QA team final determinations.
- Refers members to outside resources as appropriate. Manages time to ensure that appointments are kept and appropriate follow-up is done in a timely manner.
- Meets or exceeds company performance standards related to coaching skills, customer service, documentation, customer satisfaction, and positive clinical and behavioral outcomes.
- Manages time to assure documents and/or resources go out to members in a timely manner and according to department performance standards.
- Gathers detailed and accurate information on assigned member cases and enters data into company electronic systems and communication logs, including the established triage system.
- Enter member data into triage system and present members at weekly case review meetings as requested and according to department protocols and procedures.
- Reviews members mental health stability and makes determination for appropriateness in coaching.
- Answers questions submitted by assigned members including during coaching sessions, online or via v-mail.
- Sends letters and faxes to physician’s offices or other referral sources as required by client contract or department protocol.
- Participates in Triage as requested.
- Maintains confidentiality of all files and records.
- For QA Case Reviewers, using company electronic systems, documents member goals, clinical data, behavioral outcomes, and administrative details of all assigned member cases.
- Provides support into department projects to meet corporate goals.
- Authors content for newsletters, website articles, and other projects.
- Sends outbound referrals as appropriate and assures outgoing forms and secure emails are delivered per department and company privacy and security protocols.
- Acts as a support to new coaches, performs buddy calls and answers questions in assistance to training, mentor, and supervisor team.
- Assist sales team as requested to perform mock/demo calls. Ability to perform professional client facing presentations, including the ability to present to clients with confidence.
- Performs literature research on the Internet as assigned and prepares summaries of data.
- Licensed Behavioral Health Specialist with a master’s degree in a mental health related field (i.e. clinical social worker or marriage, family and child counseling license) with 2-3 years field experience.
- Certification in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy preferred.
- Additional job-related and company approved certifications (e.g. coaching, counseling, health education, nutrition, exercise, or mind body) preferred.
- Health or lifestyle education/coaching experience in nutrition, weight management, physical fitness/exercise, tobacco cessation, and/or relaxation skills (mind/body techniques) a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working with patients with mental health disease including eating disorders, suicidal ideation, post-traumatic stress disorder and other mental health conditions.
- Experience reviewing cases and making determination around patient stability.
- Demonstrated ability to create and sustain a supportive member-focused environment for behavior change.
- Ability to effectively utilize empathy and motivational coaching techniques to help members overcome challenges and achieve health-related goals.
- Ability to tailor coaching and support services to a diverse customer base.
- INTERNAL CERTIFICATION: Must complete New Coach training within first 30 days of employment including reading and other homework assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a positive, respectful manner and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to display excellent customer service to meet the needs and expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal communication skills to identify critical core competencies based on success factors and organizational environment.
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, multi-task and manage time.
- Demonstrated accuracy and productivity in a changing environment with constant interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze information, problems, issues, situations and procedures to develop effective solutions.
- Ability to exercise strict confidentiality in all matters.
Primarily sedentary, able to sit for long periods of time.
Ability to speak, see and hear other personnel and/or objects. Ability to communicate both in verbal and written form. Ability to travel within the facility and outside the facilty including by airplane when requested. Capable of using a telephone and computer keyboard. Ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
Usual office setting.
American Specialty Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact our Human Resources Department at (800) 848-3555 x6702.
ASH will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the Company’s legal duty to furnish information.